Former Indian cricket team captain and wicketkeeper, MS Dhoni turned 39 today. As the country celebrates his birthday, we take a loot into what went into the making of one of the biggest cricketing stars from India.
Here are five events from Dhoni’s life
- MS Dhoni was born to Pan Singh and Devaki Devi on July 7, 1981, in Ranchi, Bihar. His father worked with MECON in junior management positions while his mother was a housewife.
- Before starting to play cricket professionally, Dhoni was a goalkeeper for his school football team. His football coach once sent him to fill in as a wicketkeeper in the cricket team; this was when he impressed everyone with his keeping skills.
- Dhoni made his way for Ranji Trophy for Bihar in the year 19999- 2000. He played for Bihar consecutively for three years.
- During 2001-2003, he worked as a Train Ticket Examiner in West Bengal.
- In 2003-2004, Dhoni got selected for India A squad for a tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya. This is when he scored back to back centuries and caught the attention of the Indian captain Saurav Ganguly. He finally made it to the Indian cricket team in 2004-2005 India’s tour of Bangladesh.