News: Nepal’s Parliament on Saturday unanimously voted to clear the new political map that lays claim over contested territory of Lipulekh, Kalapani, and Limpiyadhura.
Here are five components of the story
- The bill was supported by all the 258 lawmakers present and voted in favor of the new map.
- The opposition parties including Nepali Congress (NC), Rashtriya Janata Party-Nepal (RJP-N), and Rashtriya Prajatantra Party (RPP) collectively passed the bill.
- Now the new map awaits to get passed in the National Assembly where a similar process will be followed
- Passage of the bill emboldens Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli anti-India rhetoric.
- This comes at a time when India is already facing a border tension with China adding to the troubles for the Indian establishment.